Sunday, August 17, 2008

Motivation to Write=Good

I've been wanting to write in here a lot recently, and I'm hoping that this translates to my brain functioning again. I haven't had to do much of anything that required deep thought for awhile. I'll take it as a good sign.

As you can probably deduce, a lot has been happening recently. Here's a brief recap.

The water coming out of the faucets and the showers at our condo is hot. Not just like warm because it's been sitting in the pipes under the sun for a little bit. Hot. Piping hot. It have to run the shower for five minutes before the water gets to lukewarm, and that's about as cold as it goes. I took cold showers in Maryland when the weather is reasonable. I definitely want cold showers here where the heat is unreasonable. And brushing my teeth with hot water is a little gross,too. We are hoping the landlords can get this problem sorted out soon.

We bought a TV today from a guy I found on Craigslist. It's a 50" Samsung and we got it for $650. I wish we had spent less, but I kind of felt sorry for the guy. Kind of. His brother was in jail and needed bail money, so they were selling all his stuff. Televisions, XBox360, laptop, all sorts of electronics. We don't have cable set up yet, so it's just sitting in the living room. This week hopefully we can remedy that.

I met up with Joe and Diane today at Loco Patron in Ahwatukee to retrieve my books and car keys and to have a drink with them. As usual, they were very nice. We chatted over Corona's for about 45 minutes or so. We parted ways with vague plans to do it again sometime.

I don't have any music on my computer because, despite valiant efforts, Max has been unable to fix my old computer with everything I've ever had on it. He is still trying, though I don't know what kind of progress has been made because he doesn't return my calls. So, I've been listening to iTunes radio, which is actually really nice. While doing all my readings, I rediscovered that music with lyrics is extremely distracting. So I've been listening to and falling asleep to classical music all day. It's actually pretty nice. With no TV, it's kind of eerie trying to sleep. I always have ambient noise in the background. It's interesting that I actually recognize a lot of the songs that have come on (though I couldn't name the composer if you wanted me to).

Melissa bought tickets to come visit for a few days in the beginning of September. We're both very excited. I'm going to ask my professors not to assign any reading that weekend so that we can enjoy the couple days, stress free. I'm sure they'll understand.

Orientation starts in the morning. We have to be there by 8, and we have a 30 minute bus commute (ugh), so I'm getting up at 6. That means I need to go to bed right about...now.

No comments: