Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lost my way...

I almost forgot how to get back to my blog...it's been so long. And unfortunately (for me and for my readers), I haven't had a whole lot going on.

I got a nice little boring break from work after bowl season. I'm still picking up some slack at the newspaper, but am waiting for my official start date at a new high school sports website that pays better.

Law school applications have been taking up all my conscious thought. I haven't worked on them as constantly as I make it seem, but they have been festering in the back of my mind for about a month straight. But, as of today, I am an official applicant. My papers are being processed at UCLA and Texas. Tomorrow, Arizona State, Berkeley, and USC will be getting theirs, too. Then, I get some time off before apps. are due at Maryland, Villanova, Boston U., and Colorado.

My constant struggle with these personal statements has been frustrating. When every school asks for me to write a personal statement that explains how my background and experiences will contribute to diversity, and asks for me to write all about the various hardships and adversities I overcame in my life to get me to where I am today, I'm really at a loss for words. I can't think of an upbringing more typical and American than mine. Very little adversity, very little hardships, very little diversity. My one diversity card that would normally work is being part Jewish. Obviously, at law school, being Jewish is hardly diverse. I'm slightly Native American, but not enough to claim/prove it.

So, my life is in their hands now. We'll see where I end up.

As for sports...a quick recap.

I hate the Giants. I especially hate Eli Manning. I hate that Peyton didn't win and his brother is in the Super Bowl. I hate that Brett Favre, with all his age and experience, folded under the pressure (and possibly the weather) and literally threw the game away. I want the Patriots to win by a huge margin.

Virginia Tech basketball is having a good season, considering our team is comprised almost entirely of freshmen. We just gave up a tough one to Duke tonight, but I'm proud of the way we played. We were missing our idiot inside post presence because he elbowed an official last time out in Atlanta.

I was happy to see Nadal go down in the semis in Australia. Rooting for Federer to take another title, but I like Djokovic. Very personable and charismatic. I think Federer is too good to lose. I might even go as far as saying Federer is the most dominant player in any sport at the moment.

That's about it. I don't have much to write about. I felt bad for not posting in weeks.

Leaving for El Paso on Monday for the Texas vs the Nation game (college football senior bowl game). I'll be there with Jay for a week. Hopefully, despite it being a dumpy border town, we'll have a good time.

No comments: