Monday, July 7, 2008

In case you were wondering

I've been busy. I had a fantastic birthday weekend. It turned in to the long celebration I have become (in)famous for. We started Thursday night and didn't stop until Sunday. Bars Thursday and Friday, then my 4th annual birthday crab feast with Joe all day Saturday, capped by a night at the bars again. Thanks to everyone who was a part of it. I got lots of Under Armour goodies as gifts, and once everything was said and done, I ended up with another $95 in store credit to buy more stuff. I also got Law School In a Box from Ross and Sarah, which I plan on reading before classes start.

At 2am Monday morning, I hopped in a Tahoe with Liz and Zack and headed up to Nantucket. I made the wise decision to totally exhaust myself all weekend and not sleep Sunday night so that I could snooze during the 8-10 hour drive. Brilliant. I think I was awake for a total of an hour, maybe two, during the whole drive. I slept until Stewie (Liz's pug puppy) decided it was time for me to wake up and started yipping at me. I'd wait out his outbursts and then doze off again.

We stopped somewhere in Massachusetts near Chatham and Hyannis to visit an old Davidson friend of Liz's and have lunch with her and her mom. Their house was amazing. Huge, spacious, beautifully landscaped/terraced back yard with a pool. Zack and I got a few rounds in on the ping pong table (I'm better than I thought I would be). We stayed about 20 minutes too long at their house and missed the 3:15 ferry to Nantucket. We caught the 4:30 fast ferry and were on the island by 5:45. The weather was great all week. We did a lot of biking, even though my rental bike was a piece of junk and crapped out on me in the middle of an 8 mile ride. We went to a couple beaches--Quidnet, Sconset--and spent some time downtown and in the town of 'Sconset (Siasconset, technically). I am waiting to have my computer back before I upload all my pictures (the best ones involve Stewie and burying things in the sand).

I flew home Friday (planned the trip without realizing that was the 4th) so that I could work Friday night (required). I ended up closing and making decent money, but not enough to justify missing the 4th of July celebrations.

Worked a double Saturday, more money. Then was off yesterday to have my belated birthday celebration with Mel. We had a very relaxing day, except for my lividity with the Wimbledon final. I was pulling hard for Federer. Greatest match I've ever seen, though. She took me to Lewnes' and I got a filet (mid-rare) and some mashed potatoes. Crab balls as an appetizer. She got the filet with sauteed mushrooms. We ordered two bottles of the Murphy-Goode 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon and it was fantastic. Apparently, 2005 cabs from the Alexander Valley vineyards are very highly regarded and hard to find. I now know that I like good cabernets. For dessert, we got a double chocolate fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream and whip cream. Unreal.

This week is mostly work and no play for me. I'm off tomorrow but am getting minor surgery to repair a couple toe injuries suffered in the preseason and toughed out for the past few months. This guy is a warrior.

The plan for now is to work through the weekend of the 19th and then be done. I'm most likely going to Ocean City for the last week in July with Melissa and her family, then coming back to pack up and ship out. We'll see how the wonderful people at Carpaccio feel about my plans before I finalize them.

No comments: