Sunday, April 13, 2008

Middleton Tavern

I had never eaten at Middleton's until today. When I worked downtown as a teenager, they had problems with health violations, so I usually avoided the establishment.

But, since they are still open, I gather they cleaned up their act.

I went for lunch today and it was pretty incredible. For an appetizer, we ordered the baked brie. It is baked in honey with toasted almonds and served with bread and grapes (the menu says fresh fruit, but apparently if you only order one type of cheese, you only get one type of fruit). The brie was the best I've ever tasted. Baking it in the honey was pure genius.

For an entree, we opted for the spinach salad prepared tableside. The sauce and the accoutrements are all mixed and prepared in front of you. It came with bacon fried in a red wine vinaigrette with sugar added for taste and texture, mushrooms, and croutons. I'm not quite sure what went in to the dressing. I tried to watch, but was too distracted with the brie. All I saw was a little crushed garlic. We had chicken mixed in and our server tossed it and served it up. Fresh ground paper and grated Parmesan sprinkled on top added the final touch. It was delicious as well.

I wish we had had time for dessert. Well worth the trip, either way.

No comments: