Thursday, February 7, 2008

Applications for Inspiration

I realize I don't have a very wide readership, but I'm hoping for some feedback on this one. This has been nagging me a little, and reading my brother's recent posts about finding inspiration for writing has increased the nagging a little bit.

What I have come to realize is that I can't write well without a muse. I need someone to bounce ideas off of. Partly, it's an inert desire for praise, I suppose. Partly, I want to make sure I'm on track. I don't have the self discipline to finish a story without someone checking to make sure I'm working on it. In school, I could finish things, because I had a deadline. On my own time, I start strong and taper off just as quickly.

So, the result is that I have the beginnings of tons of stories, but hardly a middle, and never an end.

I need someone to be my muse. I am going to set some prerequisites, but anyone is welcome to apply:

1. A strong understanding of the rules of English, which includes an understanding of how they can be broken successfully, is a huge plus.
2. Applicants should have experience with reading and writing in a variety of styles and genres. An appreciation of this variety is important.
3. Applicants should, but are not required to, have a desire to improve their own writing.
4. Applicants should be able to provide positive feedback, whether it be praise or constructive criticism. On a side note, this feedback should be returned in a timely manner.
5. Applicants should be patient with my nitpicking and indecisiveness when it comes to my writing.

Anyone interested, and I don't care if it's a complete stranger who stumbles across this blog or a close friend or family member, let me know. If you write and want to bounce ideas right back at me, I'm happy to oblige.

No comments: