Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Upon further review

Once I again I forgot to change my voter registration to Democrat. I am currently unaffiliated. In Maryland, that means I get no say in the Primaries. But I'll be sure to vote in the election, come November.

Those of you who took my false lead and voted, good for you. For most of us, voting is the only way to give back to the "government of the people" that we enjoy so much. That, and paying taxes. But if you think about it, all that tax money you're paying is actually coming right back to you, albeit indirectly. Theoretically, the more taxes we pay, the better our schools, police and fire departments, transportation systems, etc. are. Wouldn't it be great if it really showed a noticeable difference?

I won't pretend to know how the government works, or how trustworthy it really is. But if we can't trust the government to do what is in our best interest, then our country is absolutely screwed. And I'd much rather enjoy my ignorance than worry about my future in this regard.

And besides, how can you fault a government that allows things like this to happen in one of our finer states:

Ex-Florida prison boss: Drunken orgies tainted system. Talk about a headline that jumps out and grabs you.

Apparently, the Florida prison system had modeled itself after the petty thuggery that the mafia introduced to the US so many years back. Beatings, drunken orgies, and shady dealings highlighted the career of a corrupt boss who is now serving time in a federal prison himself.

What, you ask, was the focal point of all this crime? Yup, you guessed it. Company softball leagues.

"Corruption had gone to an extreme," [new boss James] McDonough said, saying it all began at the top. "They seemed to be drunk half the time and had orgies the other half, when they weren't taking money and beating each other up."


Any warden, guard, or other employee of the system who could hit was treated like a movie star. Those who didn't play and didn't attend the games were beaten or ignored on the job.

It's kind of like The Longest Yard, except no Adam Sandler.

No comments: