Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In Minnesota...eh?

I've been in Minnesota since Saturday. Flew out here with Ryan to visit old friends from waay back. We heard it was cold and expected the worst, but have been pleasantly surprised with (relatively) warm weather. We didn't have a whole lot planned for the trip, so it has consisted of a lot of relaxing and sleeping in and improvising. We did the obligatory Mall of America trip yesterday, but didn't buy anything. We went to a science museum that probably is more meant for kids, but had a blast anyhow. All sorts of hands-on learning games. Something about hanging out here brings out our inner child in a way that not many things can.

Surprisingly, we didn't get in to Pictionary, which has been our tradition in years past. We have done some good eating and sleeping, along with some movie watching.

We planned the trip for this week because one of the girls was in a play that she wanted us to see. If you know me, you know I'm not an avid fan of the performing arts. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't go out of my way to experience it. Her play, "After Ashley", was actually really entertaining. It was about a woman who was raped and murdered, and the effect that had on her adolescent son and her husband. While the son turned to drugs and rebellion, the father exploited the tragedy to launch a career in writing and television. It sounds pretty awful, but the playwright mixed in some great comedy to lighten the mood. Somehow, she found an even blend of humor and seriousness to balance things out.

When I get back tomorrow, or the next day, I'll write in more detail. I have some pictures and some funny videos to post.

Stay tuned.

No comments: