Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Vehicular Woes

For the last few weeks, I've been getting a potent gasoline odor in my car when I drive. It is even worse if I pop the hood and stick my head in close the engine block. Trip number one to the mechanics, a combination service-tune up-check the problem visit, found nothing wrong with any fuel lines or valves. Trip number two, after the problem worsened, found nothing, but the mechanic tightened everything up free of charge.

Today, trip number three was necessary because the smell had gotten almost unbearable. I called back, and Jason at the Subaru dealership, who has always been really helpful, said go ahead and bring it in right now and we'll take another look. So I did. Less than an hour later, he calls back to let me know it is a problem with a fuel rail underneath my intake manifold. I'm not car savvy, but I get the gist of what that means. There is no liquid leak, which means no real danger of combustion. The vapor leak is right next to my intake, which I'm pretty sure sends some air directly in to the cabin of the car if I have my air flow set to fresh air (ironic).

While they didn't charge me for this visit, it will be in the neighborhood of $1,000 to get it fixed.

Fortunately for me, my sister's fiancee's father runs a car mechanic shop in Millersville. He will hopefully be saving me significant amounts of money. Stay tuned for updates.

Leaving for Minnesota in 3 days.

Tomorrow (or maybe tonight, depending on the outcome), expect a full review of Virginia Tech at Maryland basketball, which I will be attending. Turns out several of my friends will be there, too, so it should be fun. If only I didn't have to wake up at 7:30 tomorrow morning for an appointment with my ENT doctor to hopefully restore my hearing and sinuses to a comfortable state.

No comments: